Friday, January 24, 2014

Just Nails and a Cross?

    Last night I was privileged to be at someone's home for dinner with some of her friends and I can say for all of us that it was a great time. We laughed and listened to each other's stories from their childhood, talking about career's, and getting to know each other better. Then, one of the ladies asked my friend, Sister Savage, and myself and our host if we would be able to help her on a lesson that she is teaching in February and of course myself being so eager to have a better understanding of the Gospel in general I said yes. Because she wanted 6 different friends to help her out, us being the first people she had asked we got to choose first. As I was looking at the different topic's that she needed help on one title screamed at me that I needed to just look at this paper. This is what grabbed my attention...
 "… No man could do what he did for us. He did not have to die, he could have refused. He did it voluntarily. He did it because it was a commandment from his Father. He knew what the suffering was going to be; and yet, because of his love for us, he was willing to do it. …
The driving of the nails into his hands and into the Savior’s feet was the least part of his suffering. We get into the habit, I think, of feeling, or thinking that his great suffering was being nailed to the cross and left to hang there. Well, that was a period in the world’s history when thousands of men suffered that way. So his suffering, so far as that is concerned, was not any more than the suffering of other men who have been so crucified. What, then, was his great suffering? I wish we could impress this fact upon the minds of every member of this Church: His great suffering occurred before he ever went to the cross. It was in the Garden of Gethsemane" - Joseph Fielding Smith
    I know that for myself it really struck me, because I know that Jesus Christ suffered for my sins. I know He did that because He loves all of us, and He made it possible for us to have our sins forgiven, to have the ability to have our families together forever, that one day we will be able to reunite with our Heavenly Father. So whenever I thought of Jesus Christ some pictures would pop in my mind of Him doing service, teaching people about the Gospel, raising the dead, healing the sick, Him being hanged on the cross.. And not enough do I imagine Him being in the Garden of Gethsemane.. for me. He bled from every pore (Luke 22:44) in agony, praying to the Father that "the bitter cup might pass, nevertheless it not be my will but thy will be done."  He did this understanding more then we can comprehend. He did it knowing who we will become. That is the reason for sacrament (taking the bread and water in remembrance of Jesus Christ: Matthew 26:26-28) that for 1 hour, we will remember what He did for us. 
    I am so grateful for the knowledge I have, to be able to know there is a purpose as to why I am here on Earth, and knowing I am a Daughter of God. That someone, loved us so much that He did that for us
   

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Sister West. Thank you for your inspiring thoughts and hopeful messages:)

    ReplyDelete